Thursday, June 10, 2010

Patio Table and English Garden

The patio table is basically wrapped up. Tonight I just finished grouting it, it still hasn't dried by the time I took the pics. Lastly I have to put a sealer on the table to help protect it from the elements. The grout will dry a little lighter than it is in the pics, but then again the sealer might darken it back up. I am very happy with how it turned out for my first tile job of that complexity! Now I know I will be able to do some really fancy tile floors inside the house! I must have got my mosaic ambition from my mom, you can see some of her stuff in her shop: www.etsy.com/shop/theshabbyrosecottage


Top view from the upstairs window.


Some of you may remember I had mentioned that I started planting an English Garden last fall. Here is the layout I had sketched up. The main entrance is at the lower right corner of the paper. Around the outside of the garden will be an 8' tall Arborvitae wall, putting the inside of the garden into seclusion from the rest of the yard. As you walk in, the path will split to either side and there will be planting beds along the edges and in the middle. The beds will be designated by rows of boxwood shrubs. In the very middle will be a rectangular reflecting pool, maybe I'll put some goldfish or koi in it. Off to either side of the garden will be various other plantings and some garden statues and benches. Out of the back of the garden will be a trellised exit covered with climbing roses. This exit will lead to the trail that goes through the wooded part of the yard. A second exit to the upper right will lead to an informal garden with more traditional plantings and flowers.


Keep in mind that this is just a very basic start to the garden, it is a work that will take many years to finish and grow. In this pic you are standing at the entrance. Those are a couple of the Arborvitae to the left and right, they are about 3' tall currently. Looking inward you can see the rows of boxwoods, eventually they will grow and be trimmed to be solid continuous "walls".


Here's a sideview, the purplish colored tree is a Japanese Maple. I've been having quite the battle with rabbits and deer this year. Somehow they have even been able to chew plants and trees that are fenced off!

No comments:

statistics history
Dell Computers